So, you know how excited I was about finally getting to teach ESL?
Well, that won’t be happening anymore.
Yesterday night, Pastor Shawn and his wife came over to the house to discuss a possible transfer with Anna and me. There’s a church in another town that needs help with children’s camps. We wouldn’t have to move. Anna was thrilled to hear about the opportunity, and rightly so. She decided to agree to be transferred. Since I’m actually teaching now, and since I didn’t want to leave our current church with no help at all, I decided to stay. It seemed like the ideal solution.
No such luck.
This morning I received an email from the national convention saying that we could either transfer or go home. Staying was not an option.
I emailed them and told them that things had changed. I wasn’t unoccupied anymore. I was teaching, and it looked like there were still more people who could use help.
How silly of me to expect them to care.
No, they offered some convoluted reasons why both of us had to transfer or neither. They didn’t want either of us to travel alone – which I had already been doing. They didn’t want to split us up by having one of us live at a different location – when they had already told us that transferring wouldn’t require us to move. It was important for us to function as a team – when we had had different jobs from the beginning and had accepted this assignment with that understanding. None of it made much sense, but hey, they don’t have to make sense. People in positions of authority are apparently exempted from that kind of obligation.
Is this really supposed to be a choice? I can go to this other church or go home. If I go home, Anna probably has to as well. Either way I have to give up what I was just beginning to be able to do. I mean, after chasing a bunch of kids around all day, how much energy am I going to have to make an hour-and-a-half trip, teach a lesson, and go back home? That’s five hours, or four if I shorten the lesson. Could I teach on the weekend? Maybe. Even if that somehow works out – even if I’m not too tired and people are willing to give up their weekends to come listen to me – it ticks me off that CNBC thinks they can mess around with my life regardless of how I feel about it. It ticks me off that they helped to set ESL stuff in motion, and now they’re trying their hardest to take it away from me.
In case you’re curious about my decision, I’m staying in Toronto and accepting the transfer. I’m not going to ruin this for Anna, and I’m not going to give up the slightest possibility of doing anything useful. But that doesn’t mean I’m happy about this. Quite the reverse. Not that there’s a single thing I can do about it.
Whatever. Let’s just hurry up and get this over with so I can go home.